Samstag, 23. Juli 2011

Dash and Splash

4 miles running, 400 yards swimming. I have been nervous about it all week because I was completely unprepared. I have never ran four continuous miles before and I have never practiced swimming after running. So here is the story:

We woke up around 4:45 so I could take Becca to the airport. She has been visiting since Tuesday and we had a great week catching up. I got back from the airport around 5:50, ate breakfast, made some muffins for later and got everything ready.

Tori and I left the house at 6:35. I was anxious but not rushed, I had a good breakfast and was feeling pretty good. I dropped Tori off at Mia's house and took a relaxed bike ride to the rec. It was a really nice morning and the bike ride was a good warm up. I got to the rec, parked my bike and checked in. A girl from the fit-well staff wrote the number 45 on my arm and I went to set up my transition area. I chatted with a few competitors as they were coming in, then we all headed over to the pre-race meeting.

As I was looking around I noticed some major differences between this Dash and Splash and the 5K I ran at the beginning of summer. There were no power walkers, no strollers being pushed, uh oh these people are serious. As I noticed this and was starting to get a little nervous, it was time to go. And go we did, the pace was FAST. Everyone took off and the main group was out of sight within six minutes. I was focusing on not getting too excited and running faster than I could maintain. During my training runs I would run for six minutes and and walk for two or three. Today I ran for 13 minutes before I took a break and then I walked for a 1.5 minutes. My left calf and ankle get very sore when I run from the blood clot I had when I was pregnant. The pain creeps in when I rest, so I was determined to never rest long enough to let that pain get too bad. Throughout the 40 minutes it took for me to finish the 4 miles I walked about five times each for two minutes or less.

I got to the two-mile point feeling great! I got there in 16:30 and I was really proud of that. I kept running and was really doing well until about the 22 minute mark. My right foot went completely numb, below the knee all I could feel was pins and needles. It was very strange and, believe me, it is difficult to run with an appendage you can't feel.

I ran through the numbness and thankfully it went away after about eight minutes. Around the 33 minute mark I hit a giant ugly wall, it was right around the 3.5 mile point and I was tired! I wanted to walk, I wanted some water and I wanted to sit the heck down. I pushed through, and made it to the finish. I wasn't in a terrible hurry in the transition area, and I was confused and went the wrong way trying to find the pool. I jumped into the water around 44 minutes and all was right in the world.

I started swimming and it felt so, so amazing! I know how things work in the water, I know what I can do and I know how it will feel. I swam the first 100 yards freestyle and the rest breaststroke, it made breathing easier and I didn't lose too much speed. I had the pleasure of passing a couple people in the water and finished my 400 yards feeling pretty accomplished. I got out the water and my time was 55:10. I finished, and I wasn't even last. If it had just been the run I would have hated it, but the swim made it so fun. I really enjoyed it, and will be having similar adventures soon. We are working on the logistics for a sprint triathlon this weekend.

Dunte I stretched and relaxed in the hot tub then rode back to Mia's to pick up Tori. I took an awesome nap and then made myself a feast. When I woke up I felt... hungover. My brain wasn't working, cooking took twice as long as it should have because I was so groggy. I didn't realize until after I ate that my shirt had been on backwards for an hour. I think my brain was just making sure I knew how hard my body worked that morning.

I learned that four miles is a long way. I was reminded how much I love to swim. I was also reminded how intoxicating competition can be.

For a more athletic perspective from the winner of the men's 18-24 age group, keep an eye on Dunte's blog.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen